Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Fresh Dumpster and The Attack Of The Carpenter Ants

The city solid waste services came and emptied the dumpster, so we're ready for the next big mess -- tearing out the plaster ceiling in the basement and removing one of the basement walls. I'm not looking forward to the dust, folks. There is nothing as fine and choking as plaster dust. I bought a bona fide 3M filtration mask, though. It's the rubber type with screw-on filters that can be changed out as needed. I highly recommend this kind of mask rather than the cheap white cup-shaped masks that can be bought almost anywhere. The cheapies let lots of dust in because they never really can form a seal on your face like the rubber masks. If you want the good kind, you'll probably have to go to an industrial supply type of store. I bought mine at Grainger Industrial Supply.

I don't have a clever segue into the ant problem. All I can say is we got 'em. Big ol' honkin' black carpenter ants. They were running amok recently when I started tearing off the old rotting deck. I thought they'd decided to pack their bags and head to a nice tropical locale, but I think they were just hanging out under a rock, planning their revenge. So it looks like I'll need to make a call to the exterminator tomorrow. My wife has made it abundantly clear that she does not  like the ants.

Don't they eat those things as a delicacy in some parts of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment